Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Disney's Rider Switch Service And It's Amazing Benefits

No one has to miss out on any of the fun at Disney Parks, thanks to the Rider Switch service! The service was designed with families with young children, not tall enough to ride some of the attractions, in mind. For example, let's say that both my wife and I want to enjoy Space Mountain with my son, by my daughter is still too young to ride. We all head up to the Greeter (the Cast Member positioned at the ride entrance) together and let him know that we would like to use a Rider Switch. The Greeter will send my wife and my son on their way to the ride while issuing me a Rider Switch pass. I hang back with my daughter and, when the others come off of the ride, my wife and I can literally switch places. She can come and stay with my daughter and I can head onto Space Mountain with my son, without waiting in line again. Typically, the Rider Switch lines are the same as the Fastpass lines, so we can potentially skip quite a long wait using this service as opposed to just getting in line again.

That example kind of leaves my daughter out of the mix, though. It leaves her as just waiting for the rest of us to finish having fun before we can move on, Rider Switch or not. Well, get this: you don't have to use the Rider Switch pass immediately when the first group comes off of the ride. It is valid for any time at all during the day that you receive it. That opens up a world of possibilities for my daughter who no longer has to just sit around and wait. Here's an example from a potential trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom. Say my son, my wife, and I love Expedition Everest, the fast-pased roller coaster thrill ride where you come face to face with a Yeti. But, again, my daughter does not meet the height requirement. We all head over to Everest and request a Rider Switch pass from the Greeter. Now, my son and I run off to get on line for the roller coaster while my wife and my daughter don't wait around for us but, rather, head off to another attraction that they can enjoy together. In my daughter's case, it would be TriceraTop Spin, in a completely different area of the park all together. Maybe they keep riding that ride until my wife is ready to pass out or maybe they move onto someone else afterwards. But when my son and I get off of Expedition Everest, I'm able to give my wife a call or send her a text to find out where she is and then meet right up again, completely seemlessly. And now we know that she and my son can use the Rider Switch pass to get right back on Everest later in the day, without having to worry about the length of the line because, they will just be allowed to skip it.

Much like the Disney Fastpass service, the Rider Switch service can be a lifesaver for a child who could really use more stability, routine, and schedule than an unplanned day at a theme park can offer. It's just one more way to help make a day more smooth and predictable, so use it to your advantage. Know what is available for the non-riders at what times of the day so that you can effectively plan out what time the riders will be waiting on line (and what they might be missing while doing so), so that everyone can get the absolute most out of their day without causing any stress. And, by the way, you can get a Rider Switch ticket when returning for your Fastpass reservation time, thereby making wait times for your family even shorter!

courtesy of easywdw.com
It is important to mention that there does need to be a reason that someone cannot ride the attraction in order to qualify for a Rider Switch pass. Simply being scared does not qualify, unfortunately, and rides that do not have height or health requirements do not typically have the Rider Switch service available. However, if you fall into the category of people who would strongly benefit (and not just in a convenience way) from this service, but you are afraid that you don't fit the criteria, just talk to the Greeter. They will often have great advice for you. An even better idea would be to be even more proactive and talk to Guest Relations upon arrival to the park. You can find them both inside and outside the front gates of every park. They can help you to figure out the best way to tailor all of the available services that Disney offers to best accommodate your family's needs. They can also issue you a Guest Assistance Card, which may be what is just right for you and yours. The best rule of thumb for Disney is simply, if you need something, just ask. They'll make it happen for you with a smile!




-----------------------------------------
Mike Cohen is a Disney Travel Agent and owner of Travel With Magic, an Academy Travel affiliate, specializing in Disney Destinations. Discover the magic Mike can work for you by getting in touch at TravelWithMagic.com, by emailing at mike@travelwithmagic.com, or by calling him at (315) 450-2869.

No comments:

Post a Comment